Architectural shingles, also called designer shingles, are a smart option to consider for a new roof. They offer some distinct functional and aesthetic advantages, making them a popular choice.
Developed around 1980, architectural shingles were engineered to simulate the appearance of natural slate tiles and cedar shakes without the problems and headaches. Architectural shingles offer a lower price, high flame resistance, low weight and reduced maintenance.
Key Benefits of Architectural Shingles
- High durability – Made with multiple layers of asphalt shingles, making them far more durable compared to standard 3-tab shingles. Most come with a 40, 50 or lifetime warranty.
- Design versatility – Wide range of shapes, colors, and sizes to create exceptional aesthetic appeal for your home. Better fit, better look. 3-dimensional appearance conceals any surface imperfections.
- Elegant finish – 3-dimensional effect adds depth and contour. Styles include cedar shake and slate tile.
- Stands up to tough weather – Ideal for extreme weather conditions including high winds, heavy rain, and hail.
- Increases your home’s market value – Increased curb appeal, longer life, and transferrable warranty. Boost the resale value of your home.
- Not as expensive as you think – 30% of a re-roof is shingles and architectural shingles add as little as 3% over 3 tab shingles to the cost of a new roof.
When to Choose Architectural Shingles
- Your Homeowners Association requires them
- You plan to live in your home more than 10 years
- Cash flow is not your all consuming concern
- Street appeal and overall home beauty is important
- Wind storms frequent your area